You are here

Speyside

The region with the largest concentration of whisky producers

Speyside Single Malts are single malt Scotch whiskies distilled in Strathspey, the area around the River Spey in Moray and Badenoch and Strathspey, in northeastern Scotland.

With so many whiskies, there are few similarities across the region, though some of the whiskies which are considered to be the most refined and elegant are in Speyside.

The Speyside malts are the sweetest whiskies. Although they do not have as much body as some Highland malts, their flavours are richer and more complex with fruity, leafy and honeyed notes and a subtle delicacy of aroma which, once recognised, should be easy to identify.

Strathspey has the most distilleries of any of the whisky producing areas of Scotland.

Tormore Distillery

Overview Tormore Distillery was erected in 1958 during the boom years of the Scotch Whisky industry. It was the first completely new malt Distillery to be built in the Highlands in the 20th Century and was evidently intended as a showpiece. It was originally built by Long John Distillers and designed by Sir Albert Richardson. Despite its young age, this distillery is already a listed building. For this reason, it is not allowed to change anything to its external appearance.

Tomintoul Distillery

Overview The Tomintoul Distillery is situated in the Glenlivet Estate at Ballantruan on the east side of the River Avon and in the valley between the Glenlivet Forest and the hills of Cromdale. The distillery was built in the mid 1960's and the location was chosen for the exceptional quality of the Ballantruan Spring water which is used exclusively in the production of the Tomintoul malt whisky. The distillery is capable of producing over three million litres of alcohol per annum as well as having: - Storage capacity of approx. 75,000 casks

The Speyside Distillery

Overview They say that location is everything. The Speyside Distillery is located on the banks of the River Tromie in the Speyside region of the Scottish Highlands. The distillery is closer to the source of the River Spey than any other distillery in Scotland, providing access to the area's richest, purest water. The rivers of Speyside are recognised for their part in producing great whisky and their banks are home to many fine distilleries.

Tamnavulin Distillery

Overview Tamnavulin is the only distillery to be situated on the river Livet, even if the latter has given its name to lots of distilleries in that production area. Tamnavulin has produced its own malt with a "Saladin box”, and the buildings have partially been used for wool carding.

Strathisla Distillery

Overview Strathisla began in 1786 as Milltown distillery and had a succession of licensees until 1830 when William Longmore began 38 years of ownership. He had to rebuild substantially after a fire in 1876 and it was then that the distillery took on the appearance that we see today. It was also in the 1870s that the name was first changed to Strathisla. Much later, George Pomeroy, a London financier who owned the distillery until 1949, was jailed for tax evasion and the following year Seagram bought it through its subsidiary, Chivas Brothers.

Speyburn Distillery

History The Speyburn-Glenlivet Distillery was founded in 1897 by John Hopkins & Company for the sum of £17,000. The site was chosen by John Hopkins himself for its unpolluted water supply from the Granty Burn, one of the major tributaries to the famous Spey River. Hopkins appointed the famous distillery architect Charles C Doig to design the distillery and to this day Speyburn has its classic pagoda ventilator, a hallmark of Doig's design.

Linkwood Distillery

Overview Linkwood distillery was built in 1821 by Peter Brown, the factor of the Seafield estates of Moray and Banffshire, and is named after Linkwood House, the family home. According to old documententation, Peter Brown began distilling whisky at Linkwood in 1824. After his death, his son, William Brown ran the distillery for another 30 years, and gave the distillery a solid reputation. William carried on the business and rebuilt the distillery in the 1870s. Directors of Teaninich and Scapa distilleries were involved at different times in the running of Linkwood.

Pages